As we’re revamping our workouts to get in last-minute optimal shape or frantically starting our workout plans for summer, everyone’s looking for the best way to get fit before they hit the beach. Seeing results is possible if you create and stick to a healthy plan and get creative in the gym. Below are some fail-proof tips and tricks that will lead you to optimal shape this summer.
You should always do your weight training before doing cardio. The goal with cardio is to burn fat and the goal for weight training is to build muscle. If you do cardio first you need to burn off your glycogen (blood sugar) before you burn any fat. When lifting weights you need your glycogen for energy. If you lift first, you use up your glycogen so then you can go straight to fat burning. Building muscle also fuels your healthy metabolism, which also burns fat. Work with your body and it will work with you.
The key to a shapely body is to have muscle and less fat all around – so focus on exercises that tone multiple parts of the body at once. The most efficient way to do this is to you the larger muscle groups like legs, back and chest; then, if you have time, focus on muscles like arms, abs and shoulders. If you can stand up you have ab muscles you just need to lose the fat in order to see them and when you do chest and back your shoulders and arms will get worked as well. If you have the time to work every body part, all the better but if you don’t, focus on the larger ones for great results.
Top 5 things to keep in mind when starting a fitness plan
- Schedule your workouts for the same time each day. This will turn into a habit which will soon make your workouts automatic.
- Until your workouts are a habit, find a training partner or hire a trainer. Obligation will make you get to the gym when determination fails.
- Work out at a place that is convenient.
- Make weight training the core of your workouts in order to build a healthy metabolism, strong bones and shapely muscles. If you want a shapely body you must lift weights, bones and tendons have no shape.
- Do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach or right after your weight training. After 8 hours of sleep you have little glycogen in your system and after weight training your glycogen has been used for energy. In both cases your body can burn fat quicker.
“Certified Personal Trainer, Best Selling Author and ISSA Director of Wellness John Rowley”